Library Associate - Adult Services
|November 05, 2013 - November 19, 2013|
|Salary Range:||Entry Level $9.60|
|Benefits:||Some Paid vacation, sick and holiday pay|
|Employment Type:||Part Time|
|Department:||Adult Services - Erlanger Branch|
|Description:||Position Summary: Kenton County Public Library is seeking a part-time library associate in Adult Services at the Erlanger Branch. The Library Associate position is a customer service position designed to adequately meet the needs of the library’s customers by being able to serve in a variety of capacities including circulation, reference and children’s department. Library Associates are assigned to a specific department and location but are cross-trained and expected to work in any Kenton County Public Library public service department or location based on the library’s staffing needs. When possible, every effort will be made to give staff advance notice when being asked to work in or be temporarily assigned for a period of time to a different location. Temporary assignments may occur in the case of staff shortages or leaves of absences. Hours are varied and evening and weekend work is required.|
Hours: Varied; Evening and weekend work is required. 20 hours per week.
• Provide desk coverage; assist patrons of all ages with reference questions and readers advisory.
• Respond to patron requests for information, assistance in using resources, locating
materials and equipment use.
• Answer telephones and direct calls accordingly.
• Maintain and assist patrons with computers, printers and photocopier problems.
• Process requests for patron holds; prepare collection maintenance lists.
• Assist in collection development and maintenance.
• Process magazine claims and perform other clerical duties.
• Assist with planning, preparation and execution of various adult, teen, and family programs for entertainment, educational and cultural purposes.
• Create and maintain bulletin boards, publicity displays and special book displays.
• Provide basic reference services and readers’ advisory services at the Children’s Services Desk.
• Assist with opening and/or closing duties; assist in maintaining the orderly appearance of the library.
• Check materials in and out; serve general public in a friendly, professional manner.
• Process library card applications.
• Check audio/visual materials.
• Rough sorts incoming items.
• Process reserves, holds and renewals.
• Assist other branch staff in any department when needed.
• Other duties as assigned.
|Qualifications:||• Bachelors Degree preferred; high school graduate or equivalent with some college required.|
• KDLA certification or ability to obtain certification (if working 100+ hours per month).
• Excellent customer service and communication skills. Experience working with the public desirable.
• Interpersonal skills to effectively deal with the public and coworkers in a positive, professional manner.
• Self-motivated with ability to work independently or with others in a busy department.
• Must be able to work in a team environment.
• Must be detailed oriented.
• Understanding of and genuine liking for children.
• Light to moderate physical demands including the ability to bend, kneel, reach to retrieve library materials and carry items weighing 20-30lbs, and have the ability to push book trucks or bins weighing 100lbs.
• Experience using windows-based PCs and software; Internet and e-mail experience; ability and willingness to learn, adapt to and teach new technologies.
This job is no longer active. Please click here to see current job listings.